Pages

Wednesday 30 July 2014

Life Skills Scavenger Challenge

Our summer boredom buster today was a "life skills scavenger hunt".  I spent a bit of time researching "scavenger hunts" and found quite the range of things people scavenge.  Wanting the kids to have fun and practice various community life skills I came up with my own list of ideas.  Some of the challenges were serious skill practice and others were thrown in for fun.

During the week, I talked up the scavenger hunt to build interest and excitement (and maybe a touch of nervousness) I would give examples from the various "hunts" I had researched not ever revealing what they were going to be doing.  I assigned points for each completed task with the life skill tasks having much higher values and told them there would be prizes, as an encouragement to take on all the challenges.  One challenge was to "sing a song in public" and their Dad jokingly threw in his thoughts, saying "they would loose points if the public didn't enjoy their singing."




This scavenger hunt was a lot of fun and really helped build confidence in the participants while  doing the challenges.  They were able to work together on the learning challenges and just be crazy doing the fun stuff. Each person had a camera to document each challenge and came back with some fun pictures to include in their summer memories.  If you need something to break up the monotony of summer edit our "scavenger hunt" to fit with your community and goals then go have an afternoon of inexpensive fun.

4 comments:

  1. I love this idea, such a positive and exciting way to learn life skills. I think I might have to steal.

    Thanks for sharing on #WASO

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it! That is a superb what to learn!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an awesome and fun way to beat the summer doldrums, learn, be challenged and practice important skills! You've got great ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The former teacher in me absolutely loves this! Thanks for adding it to DifferentDream.com's Tuesday special needs link share.

    ReplyDelete