Pages

Sunday 3 April 2016

Time to Roll and other Culinary Delights - French toast roll ups

All 7 of the children in our youngest sibling group have extreme delays which means lots and lots of therapy and work on their part, to help them manage different aspects of their lives.  Over the years they have had weekly therapy sessions and their homeschool day includes practicing their current goals but the number one thing I have found that helps is finding a way to include their interests into the therapy goals.  With the 7, we have been working on functional skills to help with dressing themselves and various daily life skills.  I frequently look for ideas that will incorporate many skills, that the kids hopefully will enjoy and not realize they are working on skills.....I really don't want them thinking their lives have been one big therapy session.

Cooking is a favoured activity for the children so quite often we use this as a means to work on their therapy goals and school at the same time.  Today we worked on fine motor skills, sequencing, following directions, reading math, feeding therapy, etc.

We made French Toast Roll Ups and the possibilities are endless with these.  We made them with a therapeutic goal but they are good and can be made by anyone, even my 4 year old "made" his own lunch.

1. Decide how many roll ups you would like and then cut the crust off of the desired number of slices of bread. 


 2.  With a rolling pin, flatten the bread.


3. Spread your desired topping on the flattened bread.  We used cheese slices on some and cinnamon/sugar spread on others.  Nutella or peanut butter and jam would also be good. 


4.Roll flattened bread with desired topping, jelly roll style.



5.  Dip rolls into a mixture of egg and milk.


6.  In frying pan cook the rolls until toasted on all sides.  


7.  Serve with sryup or sprinkled with cinnamon and sugar.  

The kids and I had so much fun making these and they have been telling everyone they can that they made themselves cinnamon buns for lunch.

20 comments:

  1. A great idea and they look delish! Thanks for sharing on #overthemoon

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this idea. I have yet to make these but keep seeing them every where. I read your info and God Love Yas...18 children! What an amzing blessing. #twinklytuesday

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this idea! I keep seeing these all over the place but have yet to try them. I read your info...18 children! God Bless ya <3 #TwinklyTuesday

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great idea, my children love cooking, these look fab and nice and simple.
    Thanks for sharing with #LetKidsBeKids

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am glad I ran across this blog post. Next week I am teaching some children a cooking class and roll ups were something I was thinking of doing. I like the way you did these, will pass your ideas on.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks so good for breakfast.
    Thanks for share the recipe at Cooking and Crafting with J & J.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'll have to try this with the kids this weekend. Our Sunday breakfast usually centers around something with syrop! Thanks for linking up with Funtastic Fridays.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yummy! We love French toast roll ups; they're just better when you can use them as a lesson.

    ReplyDelete
  9. No way! These sound so tasty!!

    I would love for you to share this at my Facebook Group for Recipes, Crafts, and Tips and Tricks!! https://www.facebook.com/groups/pluckyrecipescraftstips/

    Thanks for joining Cooking and Crafting with J & J!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sounds great! My kids would love these. Thanks for sharing at Merry Monday! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow.. my kids would love these.. They sound wonderful! Thanks for sharing at You're Gonna Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sounds delicious! Thanks for joining us at From The Archives Friday

    ReplyDelete
  13. The roll ups look delicious - thank you for sharing with Pin Worthy Wednesday

    ReplyDelete
  14. Looks delicious, thanks for sharing with Hearth and soul blog, pinning and tweeting.

    ReplyDelete
  15. My kids would love these! Pinned! Thank for linking up to TOO Cute Tuesday!

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a great idea! I will have to try this with my kids!! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a fun idea! French toast is one of my favorite breakfast treats. Thanks for sharing the how to's with SYC.
    hugs,
    Jann

    ReplyDelete